Monday, September 28, 2026

33 Argyle Avenue, Golden Triangle, Ottawa


This house was built in the early 1900s and was first advertised as a rental in the spring of 1903, when Argyle Ave was still called "Archibald," for the son of William Stewart, original owner of the property (part of "Stewarton", Lot F, Concessions C & D, Nepean Township.)


Do look at those rents, would you? They make me want to jump off the balcony of my $1,500/month studio apartment, only my apartment doesn't have a balcony.

Note the spelling of Catharine Street, with a second 'a' — the current spelling of Catherine was adopted, we are told, in 1913. Catharine Stewart was the wife of William.

I shot this photo as something of an experiment. I usually shoot in colour (on iPhone) then convert to B&W, trying to enhance the contrast in Photoshop. Here, I've shot with iPhone's "Noir" filter, which is contrasty to a fault, and then tried to rescue the mid-tones. I almost like the effect.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.